Dr. Denise Jaworsky identifies as a settler physician living on the unceded territories of the Tsimshian peoples. She is a community general internist in Terrace, where she is the co-site director for the local Integrated Community Clerkship (Northern Medical Program). She is also the Terrace site faculty for Scholarship in the Family Practice Residency Program.
Dr. Jaworksy completed her General Internal Medicine fellowship and Clinician Investigator Program at UBC and is currently completing a PhD in Clinical Epidemiology at the Institute for Health Policy, Management & Evaluation, University of Toronto. She is also very engaged in quality improvement and is interested in the interplay between research, knowledge translation and QI.
- Patient experience of travel for medical care
- Rural clinical trial capacity building
- Ethical implications of big data research involving Indigenous communities
- Engagement of Indigenous people living with HIV in directing HIV cohort research
- Peltier D, Martin C, Masching R, Standup M, Cardinal C, Nicholson V, Kazemi M, Kaida A, Warren L, Jaworsky D, Gervais L, de Pokomandy A, Bruce S, Greene S, Becker M, Cotnam J, Larkin K, Beaver K, Bourassa C, Loutfy M. A journey of doing research “in a good way”: partnership, ceremony and reflections contributing to the care and wellbeing of Indigenous women living with HIV. Accepted to International Indigenous Policy Journal.
- Jaworsky D, Loutfy M, Lu M, Ye M, Bratu A, Serada P, Bayoumi A, Richardson L, Kuper A, Hogg RS, Comparative Outcomes And Service Utilization Trends (COAST) Study. Influence of the definition of rurality on geographic differences in HIV outcomes in British Columbia: a retrospective cohort analysis. CMAJ Open. 2020. 8(4):E643-650.
- Benoit AC, Jaworsky D, Price R, Whitebird W, Benson E, Nowgesic E, Nicholson V, Ranville F, Loutfy M, Beaver K, Zoccole A, Nobis T, Kellman C, Jackson R, O’Brien-Teengs D, Walsh T, Keshane M, Tom J, Tynes T, Brennan E, Giles S, Hanuse B, Campbell D, Paul D, Samji H, Hull M, Masching R, Canadian HIV Observational Cohort (CANOC) Collaboration Benoit, and Building Bridges Team. 2020. Building Bridges: Describing a Process for Indigenous Engagement in Epidemiology. Accepted to Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action. 2020.
- Nasmith TE, Gadermann A, Jaworsky D, Norena M, To MJ, Hwang SJ, Palepu A. Clinically significant substance use and residential stability among homeless or vulnerably housed persons in Canada: a longitudinal cohort study. Journal of Public Health (Oxf). Epub ahead of print 2020 Feb19.
- Jaworsky D. An allied research paradigm for epidemiology research with Indigenous peoples. Archives of Public Health. 2019. 77:22.
- Jaworsky D, Ranville F, Nicholson V, Price R, Kellman C, Benson E, Tom J, Ding E, Raboud J, Samji H, Masching R, Loutfy M, Benoit AC, Hogg RS, Brennan E, Giles S, Rachlis A, Cooper C, Machouf N, Tsoukas C, Hull M, on behalf of the Building Bridges Team and the Canadian Observational Cohort (CANOC) collaboration. Antiretroviral therapy treatment interruption among Indigenous Peoples living with HIV in Canada: a Building Bridges study guided by community. Journal of Indigenous HIV Research. 2018. 9:22-37.
- Jaworsky D. A settler physician perspective on Indigenous health, truth, and reconciliation. Canadian Medical Education Journal. 2018. 9(3):e101-106.
- Wagner AC, Jaworsky D, Logie CH, Conway T, Pick N, Wozniak D, Rana J, Tharao W, Kaida A, de Pokomandy A, Ion A, Chambers LA, Webster K, MacGillivray SJ, Loufty M, CHIWOS Research Team. High rates of posttraumatic stress symptoms in women living with HIV in Canada. PLOS One. 2018. 13(7):e0200526 http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0200526
- Jaworsky D, Phillips P, Cui Z, Chau W, Colley G, Dutta R, Yip B, Kremer H, Eyawo O, Montaner JSG, Hull MW. Trends in discharges from the HIV/AIDS ward at a tertiary Canadian Hospital from 2005 to 2014. AIDS Care. 2018. 30(9):1099-1106. DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2018.1434121.
- Jaworsky D, Logie CH, Wagner AC, Conway T, Kaida A, de Pokomandy A, Webster K, Proulx-Boucher K, Sereda P, Loutfy M, CHIWOS Research Team. Geographic differences in the experiences of HIV-related stigma for women living with HIV in Northern and rural communities of Ontario, Canada. Rural and Remote Health. 2018. 18(3):4522. LINK
- Benoit A, Younger J, Beaver K, Jackson R, Loutfy M, Masching R, Nobis T, Nowgesic E, O’Brien-Teengs D, Whitebird W, Zoccole A, Hull M, Jaworsky D, Benson E, Rachlis A, Rourke S, Burchell AN, Cooper C, Hogg R, Klein M, Machouf N, Montaner J, Tsoukas C, Raboud J, on behalf of Building Bridges and the Canadian Observational Cohort Collaboration. 2017. Increased mortality among Aboriginal persons in a multisite cohort of people living with HIV in Canada. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2017. 108(2):e169-175. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.17269/cjph.108.5708.
- Schafer K, Dillingham R, Hogg RS, Jaworsky D, Kasper K, Loutfy M, MacKenzie L, McManus K, Ohl ME, Oursler KAK, Samji H, Skinner S, Rhodes S, Sun CJ, Weissman S, Albrecht H, on Behalf of the North American Rural HIV Working Group. The continuum of HIV care in rural communities in the United States and Canada: what is known and future research directions. JAIDS. 2017. 75(1):35-44. DOI: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000001329.
- Benoit AC, Younger J, Beaver K, Jackson R, Loutfy M, Masching R, Nobis T, Nowgesic E, O’Brien-Teengs D, Whitebird W, Zoccole A, Hull M, Jaworsky D, Benson E, Rachlis A, Rourke S, Burchell AN, Cooper C, Hogg R, Klein M, Machouf N, Montaner J, Tsoukas C, Raboud J, on behalf of Building Bridges and the Canadian Observational Cohort Collaboration. Virologic suppression and viral rebound for Aboriginal persons compared to Caucasian persons initiating combination antiretroviral therapy in a multisite cohort of individuals living with HIV in Canada. Antiviral Therapy. 2017. 22(4):325-335. DOI: 10.3851/IMP3114.
- Jaworsky D, Gardner S, Thorne JG, Sharma M, McNaughton N, Paddock S, Chew D, Lees R, Makuwaza T, Wagner A, Rachlis A, CHIME Research Group. The role of people living with HIV as patient instructors – reducing stigma and improving interest around HIV care among medical students. AIDS Care. 2017. 29(4):524-531. DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2016.1224314.
- Jaworsky D, Gadermann A, Duhoux A, Nasmith TE, Norena M, To MJ, Hwang SW, Palepu A. Residential stability reduces unmet health care needs and emergency department utilization among a cohort of homeless and vulnerably housed persons in Canada. Journal of Urban Health. 2016. 93(4):666-681. DOI: 10.1007/s11524-016-0065-6.
- Jaworsky D, Benoit A, Raboud J, O’Brien-Teengs D, Blitz S, Rourke S, Burchell AN, Loutfy MR, OHTN Cohort Study Research Team. Comparison of coping strategies and supports between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people living with HIV in Ontario. AIDS Care. 2015. 28(1):63-9. DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2015.1061634.
- Jaworsky D, Chew D, Thorne JG, Morin C, McNaughton N, Downer G, Paddock S, Lees R, Rachlis A. People living with HIV as instructors for medical students: a pilot study in HIV counseling and testing. Journal of Therapy and Management in HIV Infection. 2014. 2:10-15.
- Jaworsky D, Larkin J, Sriranganathan G, Clout J, Janssen J, Campbell L, Flicker S, Stadnicki D, Erlich L, Flynn S. Evaluating youth sexual health peer education programs: challenges and suggestions for effective evaluation practices. Journal of Education and Training Studies. 2013. 1:1:227-234.
- Jaworsky D, Monette L, Raboud J, Diong C, Rourke S, Loutfy MR, OHTN Cohort Study Team. Comparison of late HIV diagnosis as a marker of care for Aboriginal versus non-Aboriginal people living with HIV in Ontario. Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases & Medical Microbiology. 2012. 23:e96-102.
- Chew D, Jaworsky D, Thorne J, Ho M, Andany N, Morin C, Hoffman N, Henshaw C, Rourke S, Fisher M, Rachlis A. Development, implementation and evaluation of a student-initiated undergraduate medical education elective in HIV care. Medical Teacher. 2012. 34:398-403.
- Sriranganathan G, Jaworsky D, Larkin J, Flicker S, Campbell L, Janssen J. Peer Sexual Health Education: Interventions for Effective Program Evaluation. Health Education Journal. 2012. 71(1):62-71.
- Newmeyer T, Tecimer SN, Jaworsky D, Chihrin S, Gough K, Rachlis A, Martin J, Mohammed S, Loutfy MR. Case series of fertility treatment in HIV-discordant couples (male positive, female negative): the Ontario Experience. PLoS one. 2011. 6(9):e24853.
- Tecimer S, Jaworsky D, Newmeyer T, Chihrin S, Gough K, Rachlis A, Martin J, Mohammed S, Loutfy M. Learning from interviews with HIV-discordant couples (male positive, female negative): the challenges and successes. The Open AIDS Journal. 2011. 5:37-43.
- Jaworsky D, Thompson C, Yudin M, Bitnun A, Brophy J, Samson L, Antoniou T, Loutfy M. Use of newer antiretroviral agents (darunavir, etravirine +/-raltegravir) in pregnancy: a report of two cases. Antiviral Therapy. 2010. 15:677-680.
- Jaworsky D, Antoniou T, Loutfy MR. Important considerations regarding antiretroviral therapy in HIV-positive women. Future HIV Therapy. 2007. 1(2):203-213.